For thousands of years, people have used and praised Moringa Oleifera for its various health benefits. But, what is it and where do you find it? How much should you take every day and are there any side effects? We're going to go in-depth on this superfood below.
Moringa Oleifera is a small evergreen tree that grows in Africa and parts of Asia. You may have heard various cultures call it the Drumstick Tree, the Moringa Tree, or the Miracle Tree. Additionally, every part of this tree is valuable for medicinal use. This includes the seeds, bark, and flowers. Moringa powder is a very popular supplement.
Although there are reportedly hundreds of medicinal uses for Moringa and Moringa powder, scientists have only started scratching the surface of the Moringa plant. As they dive in deeper, they're starting to uncover new and exciting information.
Four Moringa Benefits for Your Health
We're going to give you several science-backed Moringa benefits. This will give you a good idea of what a Moringa powder or supplement can do for you. The biggest benefits include:
- Rich in Antioxidants - Antioxidants help to repair cell damage due to stress and aging or free radical activity. Free radicals can increase your chances of having cardiovascular issues. Moringa comes packed with beta-carotene, vitamin C, and quercetin. One study showed that women who take 1.5 teaspoons of Moringa powder each day for 90 days significantly boosted their blood antioxidant content. (1)(2)(3)(4)
- Reduces free radicals in your body - Your immune system causes inflammation in response to an illness or an injury to fight infection, but chronic inflammation has links to heart disease. Inflammation is sometimes caused by free radicals in your body and Moringa is the perfect antidote to free radicals. Animal studies show that this is particularly true when you use the Moringa plant's seeds, leaves, and pods. (5)(6)(7)(8)
- Reduces Sugar Levels in the Blood - High blood sugar can lead to a variety of health problems, and it's a characteristic of people who have diabetes. One study showed that six people who added 50 grams of Moringa leaves to their meals saw their blood sugar levels drop by 21%. (9)(10)
High Vitamin and Mineral Content - Moringa has a very high amount of vitamins and minerals. You will get less of the following values if you take a capsule supplement form of Moringa powder. However, one cup of fresh Moringa leaves chopped up gives you (11):
- Iron: 11% of your recommended daily intake
- Magnesium - 8% of your recommended daily intake
- Protein - Two grams
- Riboflavin (B2) - 11% of your recommended daily intake
- Vitamin A - 9% of your recommended daily intake
- Vitamin B6 - 19% of your recommended daily intake
- Vitamin C - 12% of your recommended daily intake
How Much Moringa Powder Should You Take a Day?
The dosage depends on several different factors including your age and health, and there isn't enough data to give a concrete recommended dosage. However, if you take Moringa powder or supplements, you should follow the dosing instructions on the label. Many manufacturers recommend a teaspoon per dose, once or twice a day. Additionally, people have had up to six grams per day without any negative interactions.You should discuss taking Moringa with your doctor. They can advise you of any possible interactions or side effects. Also, be sure to pay attention to dosage instructions on the product's label.
Love + miracles,